Prepared for immediate employment, apprenticeship opportunities, advanced certifications, and further education.
Who Can Attend
This class is typically available to students in grades 10 - 12.
The welding program prepares students for entry level job skills in the welding field or participation in a community or technical college program. The instructional format is “self-paced,” allowing students to progress at their own speed.
Instruction is provided in:
- Cutting and bending steel
- Shielded metal arc welding (stick)
- Gas metal arc welding (wire feed / MIG)
- Flux Cored arc welding (wire feed)
- Gas tungsten arc welding (TIG)
- Oxyacetylene torch cutting
- Project layout and construction
- Daily maintenance of shop and equipment
- Employability skills
Students are required to complete welding and cutting operations, a required project and one project of their own choosing. Time in this class is split between lecture and hands-on activities. Students also receive an introduction to basic machining principles, including foundational work on the mill and lathe.
Construction Trades are offered at:
- Ishpeming High School
- Negaunee High School
- NMU's Jacobetti Complex
- Westwood High School